Sometimes we all need a little happiness boost, which is why we’ve put together 10 tips on how you can hack your happiness today.
1. Fake it. — Studies have shown that fake laughter can release the same happiness producing endorphins as real laughter and it even increases your energy levels. Try it! We promise that after a few seconds of faking it you’ll be doing it for real.
2. Dream it. — Remember when you were at school and you’d stare out of the window in a dream like state as you pictured a Hollywood star turning up and sweeping you off your feet? You can do that now. Daydreaming seems to stop as we grow older but it doesn’t have to. Take five minutes and imagine a scenario that makes you feel happy and content and allow yourself to stay in that happy place.
3. Share it. — Many of us often work alone due to the nature of our jobs and the rise of the internet. If you feel the need for a happiness boost, bring someone else into the room (virtually); send an email to a friend or connect over social media. If you feel nostalgic, you can even send a letter; a perfect way to keep in touch with older relatives who are not that comfortable with the internet, but of course you could always call them too.
4. Free it. — Just as Feng Shui enhances the happiness of a room, the way your body is aligned can enhance the happiness of your mind. Allowing the air to flow freely around your body can improve your oxygen intake, which in turn increases your happiness, so adjust your posture and sit up straight or try some yoga.
Image: Lena Bell
5. Sing it. — We all have earworms (those annoying songs that seem to play on a loop in our heads) but do we all sing them out loud? Next time one of these songs is driving you mad, sing the song as loud as you can and see how it improves your happiness.
6. Dance it. — Just one minute of dancing can improve your mood for the entire day. You don’t have to be good at it, you just have to be able to move. When a song you love comes on the radio, dance like no one is watching and let those endorphins rush to your brain!
Image: Bao-Quan Nguyen
7. Produce it. — Procrastination is the quickest way to a low mood. Ticking a task off your to-do list can significantly increase your happiness. Write down your tasks for the day early and tick them off as you go along, no matter what the task is, you’re guaranteed to feel better as each job is done.
8. Eat it. — There are certain foods that will improve your happiness; some will give you an instant boost while others will release a steady improvement. Look for everyday superfoods high in B Vitamins, specifically B12, such as almonds, leafy greens and dark chocolate!
9. Clean it. — Some say cleanliness is close to godliness—it’s not our place to comment on this but we do know that a quick clean of your hands and face can make you feel better in seconds.
10. Read it. — Reading inspirational quotes and articles (such as this one) can give a boost to your happiness so if you’re feeling down, look for something fun on the Internet or in good old fashioned print to give your mood a lift!
Do you have your own tips on how to hack your happiness that you’d like to share? Please let us know in the comments below.
Image credit: Daniel Nanescu