Marketing is a word so often bandied about the internet that it seems unsuitable for a small business or sole trader. Unlike 10 years ago, marketing now means everything from advertising locally to spreading the word on social media. Most businesses need some form of marketing in order to raise awareness and to win work. Although you may have initially invested in this, how do you know when to invest again in order to receive the best return? Here are some signs that it’s time to invest into marketing for your business.
1. You’ve hit a lull. — Quiet times are normal and can even be beneficial as you concentrate on other areas of business. If your quiet times are becoming more frequent and you find yourself twiddling your thumbs it may be time to invest in a little marketing to give your business a push.
2. Others seem really busy. — If others in your industry are busy and you’re not, there’s a reason for that and it’s a tell-tale sign you need to act and get the word out there about your business. Are your competitors eating up your market share?
3. People are surprised when you tell them what you do. — If you mention your business or services to a local person and they have no idea of your existence, it’s time to invest in some marketing to raise awareness in your community.
4. There’s new competition. — Competition is healthy for any business but if there is a new kid on the block you may need to consider some marketing to remind your current customers why they should choose you next time too.
5. You’re invisible online. — When looking for local services many of us search online first; if your name doesn’t show up on the first page you have no chance of winning the work through Google. With a site like Bidvine, your presence on the web is supercharged. You may also want to add yourself to a few business directories online.
6. People can’t get hold of you. — For every person that tells you it was difficult to track you down, there’s another ten that haven’t been quite so tenacious and have given up the hunt. If customers have to spend time trying to find you on or offline, it’s time to invest in some marketing.
Image credit: geralt