Easy Ways to Make Your Home Smell Amazing Naturally
Are you looking for natural ways while you're house cleaning to make your home smell amazing? Want to stop using chemical plug-ins or synthetic air fresheners?
While it is easy to use chemical-based products to make your home smell amazing, it is not ideal.
Many people have allergies or sensitivities to scents, which can cause coughs or headaches. These are often brought on by chemicals found in synthetic products. Many workplaces are now fragrance-free to provide more people with a comfortable environment.
If you’re eco-conscious, an endless supply of aerosol cans is not your idea of a good time. Using natural methods to make your home smell amazing is the perfect way to reduce waste.
Lucky for you, we’ve found some great, natural ways to make your home smell amazing. They’re natural alternatives to chemical fragrances, and won’t break the bank!
Essential oils are your friend if you want a fragrant home. The best are completely natural and have unlimited health benefits too. With essential oils, you can enjoy aromatherapy while improving the scent of your rooms. Best of all, essential oils can cure a headache rather than create one like some plug-ins.
Here are the best scents for making your home smell amazing:
- Lavender: For a relaxing scent (great for headaches too)
- Orange: To invigorate (perfect for all seasons, it’s both festive and tropical)
- Lemon: To cleanse
- Ginger: To stimulate (it’s also perfect if anyone is suffering from nausea or migraines)
- Thyme: To lift the mood
- Ylang ylang: For a sensual scent
Using Essential Oils to Make Your Home Smell Amazing
Most people will burn essential oils in a designated burner, but you can use them in other ways. Here’s how:
- Place a few drops onto a radiator and as it heats up the fragrance will diffuse
- Use a touch of lemon oil in the dishwasher for a fragrant wash
- Add lavender oil to the laundry for a clean, relaxing scent
- Place a few drops on top of a wood-burning stove
- Add essential oils to baking soda and water and spritz fabric for a cheap but organic odour destroyer
- Add a few drops to a pet’s bedding
- Spritz onto pillows
- Sprinkle onto carpets ten minutes before vacuuming
Is natural living something you’re interested in? Try working with an alternative healer.
Domestic Cleaner Price Guide
Heating Aromatics on the Stove
If you’re looking for a quick boost of fragrance, but don’t want to use an aerosol spray, try this method out.
- Place a small saucepan on the stove
- Fill it with some aromatics (orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, etc.)
- Cover with water
- Bring up to a boil
- When the water starts boiling, bring down to a simmer and let it rest
- Keep an eye on the water to avoid burning your ingredients
This is a great way to make your home smell amazing, especially if you have company coming over. You can even use a fondue pot or any other source of heat if you want to make more rooms in your home smell amazing.
Try using a mug warmer or teapot warmer in your foyer to welcome your guests to a fragranced home.
Prepare mason jars of scents ahead of time and keep them in the fridge or freezer for up to two weeks. Heat them up when you need a boost to make your home smell amazing again.
Keep your stove and vents in top shape by hiring a specialist on Bidvine.
Did you know that you can make your own potpourri? It’s simple, just follow these steps:
- Preheat oven to 250º
- Slice apples and oranges thin
- Place them on a baking sheet
- Bake your fruit for an hour and a half, more if necessary
- Mix the fruit with spices (cinnamon, cloves, star anise) for at least a day
- Leave out in a bowl to make your home smell fresh and fragrant
Your potpourri will last a few months in a dish. If you want to extend its life, place it on the stove and boil it (just like our last idea!).
This would be a perfect homemade hostess gift, especially around the holidays. With almost limitless combinations, it’s not hard to see why potpourri is a classic.
If you have a special event coming up, try hiring a local, trusted party planner.
Making Your Home Smell Like Fresh Baked Cookies
If you’re anything like us, you love the scent of fresh-baked cookies. Don’t feel like making cookies? That’s okay, you can make your home smell like vanilla by following these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 300º
- Place three tablespoons of vanilla extract in a coffee mug
- Put the mug in the oven for around an hour
- Wait for the smell of vanilla to waft through your house
It’s as easy as that! This is also a great way to make your home smell welcoming if you’re selling it. It helps buyers imagine themselves in the home.
One of the easiest ways to freshen up your home if you’re selling it is to have the carpets cleaned. It will make your entire home look better.
Other Ways to Make Your Home Smell Amazing
Those were our top tips for making your home smell amazing, but there are plenty more.
We love these ideas:
- Place tumble dryer sheets behind radiators
- Place empty bottles of fabric conditioner in the airing cupboard
- Add a cinnamon stick to fresh flowers
- Use organic scented candles
- Grow fresh herbs on your windowsill
- Use non-bio washing powder on the carpet as an odour neutraliser before vacuuming
If you liked this article, you should also check out our other home improvement articles in the further reading section below.
Remember, the most effective way to make your home smell amazing is to have it professionally cleaned.
- How Much Does Interior Painting Cost?
- Infographic: 10 Great Ways to Add Value to Your Home in 2017
- How Much Does it Cost to Wallpaper a Room? (With Prices!)
Answer a few questions and we match you to the right pros.
Get custom bids from pros who match your needs.
Compare bids, send messages and hire the right pro for you.